Sunday, August 2, 2020

Was Mr. Parker a genius?

(from a recent conversation on Facebook)

I appreciate his lifelong work, his genius in regard to the documentation of his system and him taking the time to share that knowledge. Mr. Parker was an exceptional individual who had a photographic memory, a detailed and trained power of observation, a continual open mind and open heart. Rare qualities in many. 

He was one of the greatest inspirations to me to keep an open mind, to learn from many sources, not just in kenpo but other arts as well. Simply stated, I consider him one of the greatest martial arts minds of the 20th century. 

But the last thing he would ever want was for people to deify him. His own religious upbringing would not let him stand for it. But his accomplishments, like those great geniuses and masters of many various arts stand the test of time. 

In 1988, I was with Mr. Parker at a seminar in New Bedford, Massachusetts and I said to him at one point, "Mr. Parker, you are a genius." 

He responded with, "I don't know about that Joseph." 

I said, "Why not Sir?' 

Mr. Parker replied, "Joseph, most geniuses are crazy!" - Mr. Joe Rebelo 

No comments:

Post a Comment