Saturday, September 2, 2023

The Kenpo Trust


(from Mr. Joe Palanzo's Facebook page)

Ed Parker once said, “I am not going to show you my art. I am going to share it with you.”

Mr. Parker visited the studio I was training at in 1964. For several hours, he shared and demonstrated his Kenpo ideas. I was mesmerized…hooked! Almost instantly I knew what I wanted to do, and spent the next 50+ years teaching and spreading the art.

A few months ago, I faced some health issues and felt uncertain about what lay ahead. Russell and I organized a special event for my top students and Kenpo friends to form The Kenpo Trust. As a symbol of unity and our shared passion for the art, I presented everyone with a unique certificate accompanied by a significant gesture: my 8th-degree black belt. This belt, infused with my blood, sweat, and tears, holds deep personal significance because it is the first rank I achieved after the passing of Mr. Parker. I had Russell cut the belt into 25 sections to be mounted on each certificate. Through this small yet powerful act, we promote unity within the Kenpo community and share the art that binds us together.

Looking ahead, my hope for The Kenpo Trust is that it marks the start of a more significant initiative that aims to appreciate and recognize all Kenpo lineages. The Trust is a means to establish a lasting legacy that honors the past, embraces the present, and inspires the future.

Respectfully, 

Joe Palanzo

No comments:

Post a Comment