Sunday, December 24, 2023

Mr. Tatum on hand position and point of origin

(recently posted on Facebook by Mr. Tatum)

In terms of hand position up or down, you have hands up point of origin in the first height zone, hands in the middle height zone, and hands down in the third height zone. But for the most part, you walk around the street with your hands down below the waist. 

For instance, Parting Wings is from hands down so to teach the student to move up from Point of Origin. Now Hooking Wings is taught with hands up to teach moving down from the Point of Origin. 

When I was a Green Belt at age 16 it was very cold one night at a hamburger stand so my hands were in my pockets. A guy tried to uppercut me into my right ribs, I didn't have time to remove my hands, so I pivoted into a twist stance and parried his punch with my forearm on the outside of his arm and controlled his width. So, this gives you an idea of the point of origin dictating the response.

No comments:

Post a Comment