Friday, May 27, 2022

Mr. Parker with GM Ralph Castro


 (From the Ed Parker Sr. Facebook page)

Ralph Castro first met Ed in the early 50’s while they were both serving in the Coast Guard. In those days, Ralph and Ed, both Island boys, used to get together to play ukulele. Ralph said, “Subsequent to my discharge from the device, I went back to Hawaii to train with Professor Chow. On my return to the mainland, I joined Ed’s Kenpo Karate Association and he helped me with my business. In fact, I also received my first black belt from him and I treat him as my senior, since I could not train with professor Chow. I received rank promotions from Ed until the later years when I was recognized by Professor Chow who promoted me to the rank that I am. 

In 1963, Ed and I gave a Kenpo demonstration at a Chicago tournament put on by Robert Trias. During my years with Ed, I participated with him at his Long Beach International Karate Championships. We had a very close relationship, like brothers. When I last talked to him, he told me about the studio burning and about the movie fight scenes he was choreographing for “The Perfect Weapon”.

No comments:

Post a Comment