Sunday, February 3, 2019

My Beginning

by Ed Parker

My introduction to Kenpo originated at a church meeting. I was sixteen years old at the time when one of the members of the church I belonged to, Frank Chow, told a few of us how he had beaten a local bully. I knew the bully well and was aware of his victories in street fights. He was big and solid as granite. Not until Frank demonstrate the strategy he used did we believe him. With this rather brisk introduction, I became interested in this Oriental Art and began studying under Frank Chow. I became a Kenpo addict and Frank recognized my ardent wish to learn. Having boxed and having been involved in many street altercations myself, I questioned, disagreed, and stood corrected in my quest for sophisticated knowledge. I saw th value of this system if it became necessary for me to employ it on the street. Having learned Judo, and treasuring its merits, I nevertheless could see that handling two or more men was not a problem utilizing the Kenpo methods taught me. In Judo one ties himself up to one man too long. During these precious moments, your vulnerable areas are exposed for too long. Kenpo offered explosive action with minimum target exposure. I looked forward to every lesson only to be discouraged one day when Frank told me that he was ending our lessons.

Rejected and disappointed, I thought my Kenpo training had come to an end. Frank anticipated my disappointment and was happy to see this reaction. He explained that he had taken me as far as he could. He was not qualified to go beyond the lessons he had already taught me. He then instructed me to further my Kenpo education with his brother, William, who was a top instructor in Honolulu. With mixed emotions, I did visit and talk with William K.S. Chow. He was conducting a class at the Nuuanu Y.M.C.A. at the time of my visit and I was impressed with what I saw. Heretofore, it had only been Frank and I. I had no one to compare my ability with and this I could surmise would be a tremendous asset to be able to work with other practitioners. William K.S. Chow’s Kenpo Karate class was a selective group. Only upon the recommendation of another class member, could one be accepted as a pupil. I felt privileged to have known Frank Chow and grateful for my introduction to his brother, William. From the moment I witnessed William Chow move and appraised the ability of his students, a strong and spiritual feeling penetrated the very depth of my soul communicating to me that Kenpo would become my life’s work.

Working with others having varying arm and leg lengths, mannerisms, and methods of executing moves proved fruitful. It made me aware of the need to learn motion thoroughly. The ability to protect and hit from any angle thrilled me to no end. This knowledge increased my chances of being victorious on the street. This manner of thinking was typical at this point of my life, but changed in later years as I matured and was assured of my proficiency.

Adriano (Sonny) and Joe Emperado were senior students at the time of my acceptance as a student by William K.S. Chow. They were William Chow’s first graduating Black Belts in Kenpo Karate and I looked upon them with envy and respect. It wasn’t too long after that the two Emperado brothers opened their own school at the Palama Settlement in Honolulu. I visited them often and always received a cordial welcome. It was Adriano (Sonny) who, after his brother Joe’s death, formed his system of Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo is an off shoot of the Kenpo Karate system taught by William Chow, with advocates of this system found throughout the world.

There were many other students who branched away from William Chow'sKenpo Karate system. Each, however, had the greatest respect for Chow’s ability. He was not a tall man by any means, but fast, precise, and powerful. He never wasted motion and reminded me many times of a mongoose fighting a snake. He never exaggerated his defensive moves. He allowed an opponent’s punch to miss him by a – slight move, a miss, and bam! He’d be in at your vital area. He was good and I wanted to learn as much as I could from him. I followed him, questioned him, bugged him, and it paid off. He explained and stressed the need for modifications and additions and introduced me to master key movements which set me on the road to becoming a creative innovator. He knew that Kenpo was only in its infant stage of modification. Like Mitose’s family who had changed the art they had learned to suit the needs of the people of their time, Chow also felt there was a need to change the art to meet the needs of the American people at this time.

I treasured the time I spent with him and the revelations I obtained from our conversations and workouts. As I look back, I cannot thank him enough for setting me on a path of logical and realistic thinking.While the old methods of Mitose and Chow’s father are now obsolete, their contributions nevertheless are useful in terms of making analytical comparisons.

Chow’s classes were loaded with great practitioners. I also thank many of them for beating some sense into my head. There were a number of them whom I would like to mention at this time – Fred Lara, Manny de la Cruz, Ike Kaawa, Bobby Lowe (who now represents Mas Oyama in Hawaii), Masaichi Oshiro (Goju-ryu representative for Gogen Yamaguchi), Paul Yamaguchi and many others who have passed on. I learned much from these men and because of them matured into the Martial Arts practitioner I am today. The workouts, the demonstrations, the parties, all memories of my past, but etched in my mind for all eternity.

After two years at the Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, I was drafted into the Korean War in 1951 and managed to be stationed in Hawaii for two and a half years of my three year hitch with the U.S. Coast Guard (1951-1954). This gave me the opportunity to continue my studies with Chow on a full time basis. The more I studied, the more intrigued I became with Kenpo. I became even more preoccupied with Kenpo when forced, on several occasions, to use it to save my life. Knowing first hand of its effectiveness, the desire to teach Kenpo in the continental United States grew even stronger for me. I visualized the benefits that others would derive and the good it would do in developing character in our youth. Kenpo, without question, would not only instill confidence, but make independent leaders of our youth. Strong leadership is so needed in our country today and our youth are our only salvation.

Knowing I would soon be discharged from the U.S. Coast Guard (August 1954) and be returning to Brigham Young University, I talked with William Chow about the possibility of opening Kenpo Karate schools throughout the continental United States. This program was to commence upon my graduation from B.Y.U. I felt that a University degree was essential to solidify our plans. It would have a bearing in influencing the media. A degree would discourage others from looking upon us as just pugilists. Chow concurred and thought the plan would be feasible. He would be willing to take up residence in the continental United States.

Having established a successful school in Pasadena, California, I was now ready to bring Chow to the continental United States to pursue our plan to open a chain of Kenpo Karate studios. In September 1959, I flew to Hawaii for the first time in five years. I confronted Chow, reminded him of our expansion plan, and was told that I had his blessing; I was to carry on without him – I was to go it alone. My heart dropped to my stomach. I did not contemplate this change of plans. Chow explained that he didn’t think he could adjust to a new environment. He was basically shy and felt he would be out of place in the mainland (a term we use in Hawaii to describe the continental United States). As much as I tried to convince him otherwise, he stuck to his conviction. I honored his wish and commenced an expansion program on my own.

Full-scale success did not come easily. It was a long and difficult struggle. Although Chow’s answer was not anticipated there have been many other discouraging moments in my life. Determination and perseverance are the ingredients that have made my life fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment