Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Short forms 4, 5, and 6


(from Sascha Williams' Facebook page, August 19, 2019)

To the question: Is there a Short Form 4? (Or Short Form 5, or Short Form 6?).

Here's what I remember:

Mr. Parker told me that we were supposed to create our own versions of these forms.

The argument was that those could be used for tournament competition, but could also be used to teach students prior to teaching them the Long Forms (Although I doubt anyone is actually doing that.)

We were supposed to use the right side of the first technique, the left side of the second technique, the right side of the third technique, etc.

Also, he told us to avoid turning our backs to the judges for the Circling Windmill part.

Mr. Parker also spoke about this at either the 1989, or the 1990 instructor camp (the ones he did in Ventura, at Barbara Hale's studio). I don't remember which one of the two camps he spoke about this, but it was one of them. I remember sitting there while he was discussing it with us.

Maybe Skip remembers more detail. He was there both times.

I just came across one of the Instructors' Journals (which came directly from Mr. Parker), and there's a mention in the 2nd black journal, so I took a picture to post it. Those are Mr. Parker's words. This was printed at Mr. Parker's house, long time ago.