Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Karate on the Streets of Hawaii

(Black Belt Magazine Feb. 1991 V-29 No. 2)

My martial arts training in Honolulu was memorable.

What stands out most in my mind are those individuals who influenced me during my early years of training - people like Fred Laura, Manney de la Cruz, and Isaac Kaawa.  Although continuously bruised, occasionally laced with stitches, and the victim of broken fingers, I felt that the knowledge I gained far outweighed the pain and agony associated with my training.

Two other memorable individuals in my martial arts upbringing were Adriano and Joe Emperado.  Adriano Emperado, the creator of Kajukenbo, and his brother Joe were senior students of William Chow when I started instruction in Kenpo karate.  I had been with Professor Chow for just a short time when Adriano and Joe struck out on their own and established a school in the Palama settlement of Honolulu.  I was happy for them and look forward to the day when I would be able to do the same.  The district of Palama, Kalihi (where I was born and raised), and Kakaako near the Honolulu waterfront were notorious for their gangs and street fighters.  And although fights were commonplace, they were nevertheless fair and ethical in most instances.

I missed seeing Adriano and Joe during training sessions at Chow’s school.  Since I was on good terms with them, I was invited to visit or train with them if I wish to.  So that I would not upset Professor Chow, I chose to simply visit the Emperado’s rather than train with them.  They were always congenial and showed me the utmost courtesy.  Their classes were serious and rugged, and when students practiced attacking each other, they did so with reality in mind.  If they were unprepared or slow, injury was inevitable.  Dislocated knees, broken bones, and stitches were commonplace.

I remember a number of occasions while visiting the Emperado’s when Japanese merchant seamen, just off their ships, would arrive at the school to train, their gi (uniforms) tucked under their arms.  The Emperado's always extended an open invitation to those who wanted to train; they felt that the experience of training with individuals from other styles added to their own martial education.  Besides, they look forward to, as they said, "working with fresh meat."  However, upon witnessing one of the Emperado's classes it wasn't long before most of these merchant seamen would thank the two brothers and head to the closest exit.  They wanted no part of the classes.

It was a sad day when Joe Emperado was stabbed and killed during a fight.  He was stabbed in the kidney and went home thinking his wound was not serious.  He died the following day.  Joe's funeral was an experience I will never forget.  Adriano was upset and could only think of avenging his brother's death.  He wasn't all that concerned about the details of the ceremony.  Frank Ordenez , one of Kajukenbo's charter members, did much to console Adriano, and Kajukenbo master Tony Ramos offered to handle the funeral arrangements.  Ramos, who had trained under Joe Emperado, felt his instructor's funeral should be conducted with distinction.

Students from the districts of Wahiawa, Kaimuki, Palama and other areas were asked to attend the services attired in starched, white gi (this was before Kajukenbo practitioners were black gi).  However, Joe was dressed in a black gi to distinguish him as a chief instructor.  After the wake, the body was transported to the St. Teresa Cathedral, where a mass was held.  The students, in their neatly pressed white gi, were aligned against the cathedral walls.  At the conclusion of the mass, the students formed two lines as the casket was placed in a hearse.  With the family members and school representatives at the head of the line, the procession walked 8 miles to the Sunrise Cemetery - Joe's final resting place.  As part of the ceremony, a number of instructors and students performed, kata (forms) at the foot of Joe's grave in his honor.  Although it was a sad occasion, it was wonderful to see the respect and affection of Joe's relatives, friends and students.

Today, Kajukenbo practitioners, under the direction of Adriano Emperado, are located throughout the world and are presently stabilizing their organization under Emperado's leadership.  I wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment