Thursday, October 1, 2015

USSD vs Z-Ultimate legal battle

(karateforums.com)

Celtic Ronin - Seems the Mcdonalds of martial arts United Studios of Self Defense have filed a lawsuit against former so called USSD masters who broke off from USSD in September to form their own chain, ZUltimate Self Defense Studios. Just being curious I called a ZUlitimate studio to ask a few questions regarding what system they teach, prices, etc ... & it's the exact same watered down package USSD offers even the over the top prices which range between $185.00 to $250.00 per month. With the legal battle between these two misguided groups looking to be caught up in court for a long time to come I'm pretty sure they both will lose alot of students. Makes me glad I've never been part of a Mcdojo/chain schools of martial arts.


Kenpoking -  I followed this case very closely, as I have been involved in Kenpo Karate for about 20 years. I know people on both sides of this, so it hasn't been easy to stay objective. Anyways, there has been a lot of negative talk about USSD, especially in the more recent years. I now understand in more detail why that was the case (and rightfully so). The main complaints have been that they are money hungry, greedy, insensitive liars. As the court case proved, the gentlemen that illegally stole trade secrets and backstabbed the their students AND their own masters, are the same people that left to form Z-ultimate. They basically took the USSD franchise and tried to rename it and create a new patch.

I think this lawsuit was overdue. Now that USSD won, and was awarded $7.7m in damages, the two companies can go about their business in their own ways. It won't be immediate, but the true differences will slowly come out over time. I think everyone will soon realize that USSD is not as bad as everyone thought. Now that the lying, manipulative, greedy individuals are gone, USSD can return to its roots.

This is just my two cents.



darksoul - I'm a USSD black belt. Yes, they charge too much. Yes, it's a definite for-profit organization. Yes, it does have SOME flags of a McDojo. HOWEVER... the instructors I've had there were all 4th+ Dan and they have taught me well. I am with another organization now, a non-profit Shaolin Kempo school run by a 7th Dan, and I am recognized as a knowledgeable Shodan and given the same respect as the Shodans bred directly from their school.

Would I recommend USSD? No. They really do charge WAY TOO MUCH and the testing fees are absurd. I would, however, say that they will teach you a solid and effective martial art. Their Shaolin Kempo is not watered down, it's just old. When I performed on the mat for my new Master (before being welcomed into his dojo as a shodan), he said "that's exactly how we taught it 20 years ago." USSD just didn't evolve the way the other Shaolin Kempo schools have.

So if I can come from USSD, "test" in front of a Saholin Kempo 7th Dan with no ties to USSD and be recognized as a Shodan, I think that says something about the training I received at USSD.


No comments:

Post a Comment